Kids and Trees Talk


Does anyone besides me communicate with trees and flowers? Well, I am not sure how you guys and gals feel about that, but it does happen and often, if you are open to it. I was on my nature walk today and stopped to inspect some new growth of a wild black cherry hardwood that had been chopped down in places. While I was there, I bumped into a couple of young kids. I had seen them before, as sometimes they swim in the creek that feeds into the duck pond on the golf course. This creek is a spawning place for the baby fish and these fish provide food for the ducks. It is a natural ecosystem in a semi-wild area, just off the main road through my city. Today, though, it was interesting, because I had company.

The girls asked me what I was doing and so, I showed them the new growth, noting how wonderful it is that trees can grow and thrive again, after being hurt so badly. All of sudden, one little girl asked, "Do you believe that people can understand and talk with trees?" I said, "Yes, definitely. Trees talk and they listen, too. But they do it through energy." The little girl said, "I can't talk to trees, but my friend can." Then, the other little girl said, "My friend talks with animals." I told them, "Yes, it is true." The little girl said, "A potato moved the clock in our school last week, using its energy. We had a science experiment." "Everything is energy," I said. They agreed, wholeheartedly. (I guess this is being taught now in public school, at least in this district. Fantastic!). The little girls went off to the creek and jumped across, noting as they walked that they both love nature and animals. We ended up in front of the mother cherry tree and I showed them how to talk with tree by putting their hands on the tree. "If you give to the tree, it gives back to you." The little girls put their hands on the tree. The one little girl who had said she could not talk with the tree said to the tree, "I wish you good energy, tree!" We all smiled.

This is not where the story ends, as later we all started to give back to the trees and the creek by picking up the trash that surrounded the creek, in the park there. We have not finished, but I know we made a difference, as I had a surprise when I got back to my own oak tree, as I was greeted with a minty feeling across my entire chest when I put my hands on the tree's trunk. This was a spontaneous gift from the tree, as we had honored nature by cleaning up a bit. I said to the tree, "You know, don't you, about the trash clean-up. Wow. Well, I knew you would." I kissed the tree and said, "Thank you." Then, I ran up the steps towards home.  

As a reflection, I was happy to meet the girls today and thought it was quite serendipitous, as a lot has happened in recent weeks between me and the trees in this creek. However, it started with a post oak tree, the one mentioned above. More on that later, though, because I can only write so much at once.  

Comments