Kids Talk Meditation



Last night, I was meditating after dusk next to the pond. It was a bit later than usual. I heard some kids behind me. One of them said to the other, "No, that isn't her!" "Yes, it is," the other one said. "Darlene, is that you?." "Yes, it is me," I said, turning around. It was my two two little friends from the tree and creek adventure of last week. 

One of the girls is tall, nearly as tall as me. That is not saying much, as I am 5'2". I will name her Sphinx. The other one is shorter and her name will be Star. They are both around 10 years of age. (For this writing, I have changed their names).

Star asked me, "Why do you meditate?." "It is relaxing, and besides, after a while nice things can happen," I said. "For example, now I see colors in my head when I am meditating and they are like paintings. It is really beautiful," I said. "What about you? Do you meditate?," I asked. Star said, "Yes. I sit on my balcony and meditate." Sphinx did not answer.   

We walked over to next nearest hold on the golf course next to this side of the pond and whirled and twirled like dervishes, getting a bit dizzy and having a great time. Then, we all sat down in the grass, cross-legged. Sphinx said, "I meditate with my thumb and finger together, like this," pressing her thumb and first finger together. "That is called the Meditation Mudra," I told her. We all practiced this. Star and Sphinx were both able to cross their legs in the lotus position, whereas I am not that flexible.

Star asked, "Do you ever levitate while you are meditating?." "I have not ever levitated. Once, I was in public and I held myself down tightly to my chair, so I did not rise up. I was a bit scared at that time to do it. It just happened," I said. "But, my great grandmother used to levitate." Star said, "I have levitated, but it was after 3 hours of meditating." "Wow, I am impressed. That is a long time to meditate. I will try it," I said. Sphinx said, "I haven't levitated, but my great grandmother did. I call her my thousandth great grandmother."

Star's mom called her home, as it was getting late. So, we all stood up. Star said, "Now we are friends, right?" "Yes, we are," I said to them both. We had a group hug. As I walked across the bridge towards home, I was thinking how lucky I am to have two new friends who like to meditate. What a wonderful time to be alive and also, what wonderful kids!

Namaste!


Comments