Cockatoos in the wild

King Parrot in the garden, Torquay.  Photo credit: Darlene Michelle McPeek. Copyright 2020. All rights reserved. 


I love Australia.
It is a beautiful country.
Not so very many people.
The cockatoos (white parrots) are quite tame.
I had not seem them in the wild until I came here.
When I was a child, my neighbors had two cockatoos in a large hut,
Which the mom kept covered at night. It was quite big, like 5 ft tall. As round as a double bed. But still so very small for these two beautiful birds. So, i am sad for those birds now, thinking back. It would get quite cold in the winter in texas.  I am sure that they just have broyght them inside.
Here,  too, i heard of someone who had a cockatoo in a small birdcage. not a good thing at all. This was her step daughter.
Poor bird. She could not say anything, though. It was quite uncomfortable for her and sad.
I never had a bird inside a cage.
Once, at my mother's house, there was a white dove,
Named lulu.
She was quite sweet, but sad.
She was pulling out her feathers.
I sang to her one day.
Then, she was fluffing up,happy.
She was just lonely, like my baby gabrielle (who used to do the same thing before we had her).
So, lulu was happy.
I would hold her,  and she would peck my hair and face.
Bird kisses. She never let anyone else hold her.
She was my friend and i was her friend too.
Once, my friend from holland was visiting.
He was outside.
We opened the door a crack, so she could give him a kiss.
She  squeezed out.
A flew away.
She flew to the top of the tree,
The highest tree.
And was grooming herself there.
She was happy.
It was a windy day,
A storm was coming.
We could not get her back inside.
We put her cage outside, open.
But she never returned.
I think she enjoyed her freedom.

Comments