Sowilo, Rune of the Sun

This morning, after the sun rose, I have bathed myself in its rays... And felt healed. :-)


"Becoming the Sun" 

In today's other post, I had mentioned that upon rising up, I had seen a Rune in my third eye, in electric blue, as a gift from the sun. 

For the past year and a half or so, I have been given runes, off and on. They can come to you in meditation or even in dreams, I believe. Whatever way you receive is the best way. Runes come to us at the right time. 

For today's Rune received, I have found that it is: The rune of the Sun, called Sowilo. This information is from the oldest rune system, called Elder Futhark. The Runes is comprised of 24 letters, a special alphabet of the ancient peoples who spoke Germanic languages, such as Scandinavian, German, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Norwegian and early English. Oftentimes, the letters were carved into wood, stone or metal and worked with that way. 

I was excited to find books on runes. My first book was found spontaneously in 2010, while I was shopping in a book store out of town. It spoke to me, in some fashion, so I brought it home. Since then, I have been receiving runes, from time to time. Usually, when a rune comes to you, it means that there is something in your life that can be assisted with the help of the particular rune. 

In working with the runes. there are many things you can do, such as meditation, keeping a journal, and various exercises (which you can find in a runes workbook). This is the first time I have shared about runes, but I am planning to share more, as I find they are very interesting. 

My first time to see a rune was at a Magickal Warrior Women's group near to wear I live. The host had received a special handmade set of wooden runes, which were very beautiful, from a friend. Since that time, I was very curious about them, as they are in my heritage (my great grandfather on one side was born in Denmark and on the other side, three of my great grandparents emigrated from Sweden). 
.....

General Information about the Sowilo Rune: 
Sowilo = Sun.
Number: 16. 
Rune of the Sun, rune of individual victory, good guidance and honor. 


Sowilo Rune Poem: 


S (Sun) is by sea-men                             always hoped for
when they are fare far away                    over the fish's bath (sea)
until the brine-stallion (ship) they bring to land.
OERP

S (Sun) is the light of the lands;
I bow to the doom of holiness.
ONRP

S(Sun) is the shield of the clouds              and a shining glory
and the life-long sorrow of ice.
Wheel.                                                    "Descendant of the victorious one"
OIRP





Comments

Seal swimming said…
so strange that goooogle will not allow anyone to post a comment who does not have a gooooogle blog. :( so sad. i have just set up a wordpress account. there, comments are allowed.