Mistletoe & the Druids: February 5, 2013

http://vrikshanurseries.blogspot.com/2011/12/legend-of-mistletoethe-plantthe-fable.html

During a walk on Sunday, February 3, I saw a branch of what I thought looked like mistletoe, lying next to the bee hive in the RA tree. Well, I was going to pick it up, but a little bee, soldier, thought I was too close to the hive and was in my hair. This bee is quite a good guard and I think we have met before. I took the hint and left the hive, making a note to myself not to sit so close the next time around.

Last night, I was listening to the June 14, 2012 podcast of In our Time with Melvyn Bragg, which was about the Druids. I learned that mistletoe is one of the important plants that the Druids used in their ceremonies. It had a significant spiritual meaning to them. Upon hearing this, I remembered the sprig of mistletoe...

From what I learned about them, not much of their practices are known, as they were not a writing culture. They chose not to write their knowledge down but instead chose to pass their knowledge down orally, from father to son, mother to daughter. This was to protect the knowledge from outsiders as well as to challenge their memories.

http://mymotherthinksimagoodwriter.blogspot.com/2010/05/green-man-proudly-accepted-by-blinking.html


One of the first things I ever envisioned was the Green man, which is a tree spirit of Druid origin. I am going to learn more about the Druids. It will be interesting to see what turns up!

Comments