Smaller Sentient Beings

Today, I was feeling quite close to my animal friends who are smaller sentient beings.
Eucalyptus Tree. Photo taken by Darlene Michelle McPeek. Copyright 2018. All Rights Reserved. 


A Sparrow Says Hello:

I spent the afternoon on my east-facing porch,
Which is a bit like sitting next to a small wood.
We have 3 elder trees: a tea tree, in which the bird water bowl sits; a silky oak (grevillia robusta), in which one bird family has built its (what looks to be of clay and small twigs) nest; and a eucalyptus tree.
The Hakea bush stands in between the oak and eucalyptus, holding a tiny bird house with a feeding tray inside.

It is just the right size for the tiny sparrows (called Musjes in the Netherlands) to come and eat their seeds in a sheltered place.
However, more often, I see them hopping under the bird house,
And in the garden, searching for food.
Sparrows are quite tame in the Netherlands and in the city of Melbourne.
There they will sit at your table and eat the crumbs off your plate,
Or your outstretched hand.

Sparrows and most birds are quite trusting once they get to know you.
I have been begun feeding these little ones again. 
Yesterday, for the first time, one of the Sparrows hopped up onto the wooden porch near my feet, stood still for a momemt, and then, flew away.
For me, it was the same as saying, "Hello & Thank you."

Today, midmorning, four birds were feeding.
I brought my cat, Gabrielle, who was curled up asleep in her house,
to the window to see them.
The four sparrows saw her and flew away immediately.
I found it amusing to see how they recognized her as a predator,
Even through the window!


Golden Moth Rescue & Recovery

Last night, I heard scuttling in the entry hall,
And meows of excitement.
Looking around the corner, from the kitchen,
I saw Gabrielle jump up on the front door,
Then,  pounce!

I put down my coffee and went immediately to her,
Rescuing a moth from her paws.
It was a faded, but still beautiful Golden moth.
The moth was lying on its back, but crawled onto my hand,
After some urging on my part.

The golden moth was quite old and had a small injury to the back of of his head where his wings met.
His feelers, legs and wings were still intact, and so I was glad.

The moth was not moving much
and did not want to leave me.
I was unsure what to do, as I did not want to abandon him
In what could be its last stages of life.
So, I gave  some nourishment to the moth, which I felt he accepted.

Going around to the front porch,
I sat with the moth sheltered in my hand and gave him healing energy,
And prayed for his recovery.

Not long after that, the moth was walking on my arm and sweater.
He seemed more animated.
But, the moth was not flying.

It was time for dinner, so
I put him on my strawberry plant.
He seemed happy, as he crawled off my hand onto the leaf's underside,
Just over the strawberry flower.


Ant Paramedic Assistance

I was at the kirchen counter.
One ant was having difficulty,
As his back end was stuck to the counter top.
He was so tiny, I was afraid I would hurt him,
If I tried to help.

I scooped him up with a paper towl and
Set him next to another ant,
Who was vigorously active.
This active ant bumped into him in passing.

But he noticed that his colleague was injured,
So he came back immediately.
Tbe second ant communicated with the injured ant,
With a series of nudges,
As if to help him get started.

After a few tries, I saw the second ant
Push the first one as if giving a tow.
Then, the first one was able to move again!
He began  to walk and was back to normal.

This whole experience was riveting,
But I did not leave to get my camera,
As it did not want to miss a moment.
What a miracle to behold!

As humans, we sometimes think we are superior
To our smaller animal friends, thinking,
"Oh, we humans show we care for each other.
Give CPR, we communicate."
So this is true, but here, too,
"The ant saved his friend.


14 January 2018
Darlene Michelle McPeek
Copyright 2018
All Rights Reserved. 

Comments